Vegetable and berry products
|Structure Type: ||Course|
|Credits: ||3.0 points|
|Responsible Teacher: ||Pasto, Matti-Pekka|
|Language of Instruction: ||Finnish|
Course Implementations, Planned Year of Study and Semester
|Curriculum  ||Semester  ||Credits  ||Start of Semester  ||End of Semester|
Students will be familiar with the use, properties and quality of fruit and vegetable products. They will also be exploit the more common production processes and the factors influencing quality and safety.
Total work load of the course: 80 h
- of which scheduled studies: 40 h
- of which autonomous studies: 40 h
Prerequisites / Recommended Optional Courses
No previous studies are required.
- Edible Plants (exotic fruits, root vegetables, cabbages, domestic fruits, berries, herbs, other vegetables, legumes, potatoes, lettuce, onions, vegetables and fruits cultivated mushrooms) as a raw material of food products
- storage methods for various fruits and vegetables
- processing methods for various fruits and vegetables
- nutrition of vegetables
- product development of vegetable products.
Recommended or Required Reading
Supplementary material; Smith, D. ym. Processing Vegetables Science and Technology (1997)
Mode of Delivery / Planned Learning Activities and Teaching Methods
Laboratory work and lectures
1-2: The student knows basic edible vegetables and the general processing of berry products manufacturing.
3-4: The student knows basic edible vegetables and the general processing of berry products manufacturing. Student is able to combine his knowledge with previous experiences.
5: The student knows basic edible vegetables and the general processing of berry products manufacturing. Student has demonstrated the ability to create new meanings and to show innovation in applying what he has learned.
Written exam and approved reports