|Structure Type: ||Course|
|Credits: ||3.0 points|
|Responsible Teacher: ||Peltoniemi, Kristiina|
|Language of Instruction: ||Finnish|
Course Implementations, Planned Year of Study and Semester
|Curriculum  ||Semester  ||Credits  ||Start of Semester  ||End of Semester|
Upon completion of the course, students will
- be able to carry out the fermentation process
- ba able to explain the most signicant biotechnical fermentation processes and instruments involved in those processes, measurements, modeling and post-processing methods.
Total work load of the course: 80 h
- of which scheduled studies: 40 h
- of which autonomous studies: 40 h
Prerequisites / Recommended Optional Courses
Biochemistry and food chemistry
- Industrial microbes, mutations, gene technology
- Practical applications in bio-processing technology
- Methods and instruments used in bioreactor culturing and post-processing
- Absorption mobilisation and cell recycling techniques
- Common types of bioreactors, measuring them, modeling and adjustments
- Special issues to be addressed in biotechnology, e.g. occupational safety, quality control systems, patents and ethics
Recommended or Required Reading
Aittomäki, Eerikäinen, Leisola, Ojamo, Suominen & von Weymarn 2002. Bioprosessitekniikka. WSOY. Porvoo
Mode of Delivery / Planned Learning Activities and Teaching Methods
- Field trips to various factories
- Laboratory work
Satisfactory (1...2): The student knows and understands to a basic concepts and methods of topics, and is able to apply them to usual problems.
Good (3...4): The student is familiar with the concepts and methods of topics, and is able to apply them to different types of problems. The student is able to combine the accumulated knowledge and skills with previous experiences in the subject.
Excellent (5): The student is familiar with the concepts and methods of topics, and is able to apply them to a variety of different problems. The student has demonstrated creativity and innovation, and is able to find new meanings when applying what they have learned.