|Structure Type: ||Course|
|Credits: ||3.0 points|
|Responsible Teacher: ||Ventelä, Sarita|
|Language of Instruction: ||Finnish|
Course Implementations, Planned Year of Study and Semester
|Curriculum  ||Semester  ||Credits  ||Start of Semester  ||End of Semester|
Upon competition of the course, students will
- be able to designate organic compounds according IUPAC
- can not draw the basic organic compounds, structural formulas
- be able to identify and designate the different functional groups
- be able to identify and predict the basic reactions of organic compounds and applied information on laboratory exercises.
Will be announced at the beginning of the course.
Prerequisites / Recommended Optional Courses
Inorganic and technical chemistry
- Organic compounds designation and drawing under the structural formulas of IUPAC
- Identification of functional groups
- The main reactions of organic compounds
- Organic chemistry industrial application areas.
Recommended or Required Reading
- Jokela and Niinistö: Orgaanisen kemian perusteet ja sovellukset. Otatieto.
- Assignment instructions
Mode of Delivery / Planned Learning Activities and Teaching Methods
- Lectures 32 h
- Laboratory work 3x4=12 h
- Autonomous studies 36 h
Satisfactory (1...2): The student knows and understands to a basic concepts and methods of organis chemistry, and is able to apply them to usual problems.
Good (3...4): The student is familiar with the concepts and methods of organis chemistry, and is able to apply them to different types of problems. The student is able to combine the accumulated knowledge and skills with previous experiences in the subject.
Excellent (5): The student is familiar with the concepts and methods of organis chemistry, and is able to apply them to a variety of different problems. The student has demonstrated creativity and innovation, and is able to find new meanings when applying what they have learned.
Evaluation consists of the following sections:
- Exam (50%)
- Laboratory work report (30%)
- Exercises (20%).